In my life the word "sub" has always had somewhat of a negative connotation. I'm not talking about the sandwich, mostly just the "SUB" during volleyball games that I heard my coach screaming from the sideline when I wasn't playing up to par. So yeah, the word sub really isn't a favorite of mine, I mean sandwiches are great, but coming out of games is always disappointing (even if I deserved it). However, now this word has taken a completely different meaning for me. In my search for a teaching job this winter, I was unsuccessful and decided that it would be a good idea to substitute teach while looking for a job for the fall. I got my applications in and here I am now, an official substitute teacher!

My first day on the job is tomorrow at Olympus. I am excited to be able to go back to a familiar school, but I am somewhat nervous because the last time I was here I had the title of a teacher. Yes... it was only a student teacher, but I feel like students respect student teachers more so than they do substitute teachers. Student teachers have more control over the classroom. They are the teacher. They plan the lessons, know the students, and are in the classroom for more than one day. Substitute teachers are in a much different boat. I remember being really awful to substitute teachers.
I hope the kids aren't too awful for me. Crossing my fingers!
3 comments:
Good luck!
Just lay down some smack talk at the beginning of the period... then they wont mess with you :) My father in law subs in Southern CA. He is a giant (I think 6'7" or something) with very large gray hair. I find it funny to picture him in front of a classroom full of second graders. Good luck though!
yes, i must agree it was always a treat to get a substitute and see what some class clown would do! you are so cool though i'm sure they won't mess!!!! good luck.
Post a Comment